Total Pageviews

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Fables 14:Witches -A Treat For All



Written by BILL WILLINGHAM; Art by MARK BUCKINGHAM, STEVE LEIALOHA, JIM FERN, CRAIG HAMILTON and DAVID LAPHAM; Cover by JOAO RUAS


Titan Books-Vertigo
192pg.
Color
Softcover
ISBN: 978-0-85768-040-2
£14.99


While the meek flying monkey Bufkin is trapped in Fabletown’s collapsed business office with the evil witch Baba Yaga, Frau Totenkinder and the witches of the Woodland’s thirteenth floor prepare to deal with Mister Dark in what’s left of Fabletown. Collecting FABLES #86-93!

I have seen the occasional cover of Fables issues and they look great –as does the cover to this collected book.  Thing is I kept seeing the issue number and I hate jumping into a book at issue number 55 or 60!
I liked the way the borders have been designed. Nifty.
Am I going to take a poke at Willingham’s writing?  Nope. The stories are well paced, the dialogue good and the characterisation spot on.  Now, if I remember correctly, then Willingham is also a great artist –I was writing Two Hot Girls for Eros Comix and got a gratis copy of Iron Wood no.1 sent to me. Hey –we wuz starvin’ and young! Loved the art style.

In this collection you have the work of Mark Buckingham and I’ve always liked his work. In fact, this is an excellent collection of stories and art –some of it quirky but absolutely none of it with any faults.  Perhaps I should have started buying those issues?

There is a whole “Willingham universe” here but how it inter-connects with previous books I don’t know.  It doesn’t matter, though. I really like the “Baleful Strider”!

This book goes to show that Titan are producing a rather eclectic mix of books and I need to check out what British comic collections they have out.

Very enjoyable and worth the cover price.

No comments:

Post a Comment