Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 January 2020

There Actually WAS An African Comics Project!

I suddenly realised where the rumour that I was working on comics for an African country started.

Firstly, there ARE heroes based in Africa in both Return of the Gods and Green Skies. There have always been these characters in Black Tower.  However, in the mid 190's I was putting together a sample comic for someone based in Nigeria. There were, rather similar to the Heroes of India comic, 48-52pp featuring original characters based in various African countries since the fell.a in charge wanted a book that could be sold in several African countries.

Pre-internet days meant phone calls or letter writing and both suddenly stopped after the work was done.  As far as I am aware the comic was never published and the rumour was that the man involved might have faced financial problems (there is a novelty).

I know a couple of old comic zines made passing reference to the project and that it was discussed by others.

That is the only possible explanation I can think of for how the rumour started.

I would like to cover comics from Africa on Comic Bits Online one day since the last time I did so was over 20 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment