Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 February 2020

Le Fez...and the Zero Heroes

I have related the story of my brief dalliance with a Bristol comics group on the Black Tower Face Book page.  A mess.  At one meeting they put forward their big story idea for the year: zombies (again). But pirates were a big thing at the time so we had to include local lad Black Beard.  Oh, and an airship.

The strips would all be linked together so I asked the sensible and obvious question: what appearance were we giving Black Beard -did they have a design?  And what type of \airship did we have to draw?

No, there was no character design and we would interpret the character in our own way. As for the airship -they would decide at a later date.  I pointed out that there were many types of airship but if each person drew different airships (only in the background for reasons I forget or were not explained) it might look a mess.

Totally ignored.

So, as this was voluntary and I had other projects going on, I took a week and drew my contribution and based Black Beard along the traditional lines and added a bird like airship in one panel high up in the sky. I sent the scans in.

To say that the, uh, 'editor' was not happy would be an understatement. Firstly I had fully drawn and lettered the strip. So...?  Apparently the editor was annoyed that I had not submitted pencils for him to approve before inking. I asked what I had done in the strip that was out of touch with the idea they had given?  Nothing -but I had not sent them pencils for approval.  In fact, it turned out no one else had sent anything in.

I asked if there was anything needed altering -I could do that quickly enough. No. But then came more moaning and whining and after several email exchanges, during which I realised that the 'editors' had  no idea whet they were doing, had no other contributions and a fast closing deadline I again withdrew permission to use my strip. Which caused even more offence....,I gave up. This was the second time they had done this but ffs zombies for yet another year, no idea what they were doing and the fact that this was voluntary (I'll take all kinds of crap from a paying editor!)...just no.

Here is part 1 of the story that will feature in an issue of Black TowerSuper Heroes..."if"






No comments:

Post a Comment